Becoming YU provides students with a framework to set meaningful goals, identify the skills they want to develop to achieve those goals and provide them with tools to reflect on and track their progress. Through Becoming YU students will recognize the value of their experiences, have greater clarity about their leadership and career goals, and articulate their skills and accomplishments with confidence!
Becoming YU includes a series of online modules that students can complete throughout their time at York as they engage in a variety of experiences. These modules are linked to York University’s experiential learning platform where students can apply to a full range of jobs and experiential learning opportunities, register for programs and activities that support their personal, academic and professional development and reflect upon and track their skills development.
Through Becoming YU, students will:
- Understand the importance of learning about themselves to set personal, academic and professional goals that meet their needs and align with who they are and what they want to learn;
- Make the most of their personal, academic and professional experiences, identify and leverage opportunities, build relationships, navigate tricky situations and gain the tools for success; and
- Articulate and provide examples of their skills and accomplishments in a variety of contexts and formats when applying for or considering future personal, academic and professional experiences.
While Becoming YU is designed to be self-driven in which students set goals which they work toward by gaining experiences and building key competencies throughout their time at York, the key to success is reflection – taking the time to make meaning of their experiences and skills development. Therefore we encourage students to check-in regularly with a supervisor, mentor or coach to receive guidance and support and encourage accountability.
Student Video Testimonial
Becoming YU coaches will have the opportunity to:
- Enhance student staff engagement, competence, and productivity;
- Act as a catalyst for their student staff's personal, academic and professional development by supporting them in making meaning of their experiences;
- Develop transformational coaching, advising, and supervisory skills; and
- Share best practices with other coaches and stimulate innovative approaches to working with student staff.